Thursday, February 08, 2007

An Unexpect Gift


A friend stopped by this morning and gave me a copy of THE DARK TOWER: THE GUNSLINGER BORN #1 from Marvel Comics. I was surprised and thrilled! I had forgot it was coming out this week.

The Dark Tower Series by Stephen King is one of my all time favorite stories. Written over decades, King created the backbone that basically supports nearly all (if not all) the other stories he has written. And what a rich and beautiful backbone it is. I came on late. I think THE GUNSLINGER was out probably 10 or 15 years by then, but once I caught up, I eagerly anticipated the release of each new volume. And when the series finally ended, I was both satisfied and left wonting.

But now, King - working as Creative Director - is working with Robin Ruth, Peter David, Jae Lee, Richard Isanove and Marvel Comics to bring new Gunslinger stories out in graphic novel form.

And oh...my...God...the illustrations are beautiful. And thanks to my friend Greg, I have my own copy. The problem is I don't know whether to read it or put it in a plastic sack and hide it in my closet!

1 comment:

Rob Brooks said...

I read mine, THEN put it in a plastic sack and stuck it in my closet. I was shocked at how amazing the art was. I'm hoping that they tell some stories that are new, although I'll glad take the Wizard and Glass story if that's all I get.

As a side note, one of my favorite King books is The Black House, and that has a huge tie-in with the Dark Tower series. It's incredible how all of his stuff works together. Incredible. If I could write like that...